Beauty: NYX Cosmic Metal in Speed of Light review

Beauty: NYX Cosmic Metal in Speed of Light review

The holiday parties are coming up, and if you're a makeup lover like me, you're probably already mentally preparing the perfect beauty looks to go with your festive outfits. I always pick comfort over style (which is why you so rarely see me in heels or skin tight anything), and if there's one tip I can give you for any party: make sure your hair and makeup looks great, and no one will care if your outfit is mega stylish or not. I mean, if your eyeliner is on fleek, you can probably get away with those comfy loose trousers that allow you to eat all the food without having to pop a button.

If you want to try something new this year, look no further than metallic lips. The metallic lip trend keeps picking up speed, and today I'll be talking about the NYX Cosmic Metal liquid lipstick, in the gorgeous rose gold Speed of Light shade. I'll never get tired of the rose gold trend, man, I don't care how basic that makes me.

This is the third metallic lip product I'm reviewing (check out my earlier posts on the Milani mattalics and the H&M Dazzle Lip Toppers), and I'm keeping it on the budget side of things. I mean, most people who want to try the metallic lip trend probably figure that this won't be a new classic, so budget is a safe bet. The NYX Cosmic Metals retail at €7.90 and come in eleven shades if I'm correct. Most of them are pretty "out there" colours (there are purples, blues, greens and greys), but since that's not really my style, I stuck to the safe side of the colour wheel with this rosey neutral: Speed of Light.

Beauty: NYX Cosmic Metal in Speed of Light review

The NYX Cosmic Metals' formula varies a bit from colour to colour, but all of them are on the sticky side. Unlike the Milani mattalics or the H&M Dazzle Lip Toppers, these do not dry down but remain tacky. That may be a pro or a con, depending on your preferences. The Cosmic metals are very pigmented and easy to apply completely opaquely in one swipe. 

I'm not a fan of the doe-foot applicator, though - the shape is practical enough, but it's quite fluffy and because the formula is so thick, goopy and sticky, the fluff of the wand picks up way too much product. You really need only a tiny amount if you don't want everything smudging or building up along the edges of your lips. Also, the product sticking to the fluffy bits on the applicator sort of reminds me of a wet dog or a mop. Sorry for that mental picture. I'm really nitpicking here though because in the grand scheme of things, this does not ruin the Cosmic Metals for me in the slightest.

Beauty: NYX Cosmic Metal in Speed of Light review

Speed of Light is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely a soft rose gold with a cool, metallic shine. Very wearable and quite flattering, especially if you're on the paler side. If you've got darker skin, I'd probably suggest using a darker lip product first along the edges and creating a sort of "ombre" effect with Speed of Light along the center of your lips. Otherwise, the pale gold might wash you out.

One thing I did notice is that the swatches I googled vary greatly from blogger to blogger. In some shots (including some of mine), Speed of Light looks like that perfect light rose gold that is so swoon worthy. However, in some lighting conditions the shade is more copper or orange leaning, less pink. I'd also say this is a mid-tone colour, not a pale one. Just compare these two swatches I made on different days below, in the first pic the product is a lot more pink/rose gold, while the second shows it as more warm toned orange/copper and thus slightly less wearble and flattering on me. 

Beauty: NYX Cosmic Metal in Speed of Light review
Beauty: NYX Cosmic Metal in Speed of Light review

You'd probably be best off by swatching these in real life to figure out whether the formula and the colours please you. I don't wear Speed of Light often, because metallic lips are a statement look that can be a bit heavy for a day at the office. However, I think these are definitely worth the money if you love that metallic lip look.

The NYX Cosmic Metals are comfortable to wear, thick and tacky, and have decent wear for what is essentially a thick, highly pigmented gloss: if I don't eat, these will look good on me for eat least three hours. They do break down easily when you eat or drink, but reapplying is no issue so that doesn't bother me. You do definitely feel these on your lips because they're so thick, so that might be a deterrent to some but not to me. Thumbs up!

Beauty: NYX Cosmic Metal in Speed of Light review

You can buy the NYX Cosmic Metals in Belgium at one of their stores, the Antwerp store is nicely stocked and not too crowded! Are you feeling the rose gold lip for Christmas?

No comments