Travel: throwback to Nîmes arena

& other stories sundress, birkenstocks, havana hat
dress: & Other Stories - hat: H&M - sandals: Birkenstocks

Over the  holidays, I sort of looked back on the year, as you do, and realized that I didn't share all of my travel content. I still had one daytrip's worth of French holiday pictures sitting in my folder, and since winter is just about to really kick in around these parts, I figured this would be the perfect time to dip my toes into those Provençale heatwave days of yore, if only in thought. This day we drove down to Nîmes, a town known for its well preserved Roman arena ruins.

The day was incredibly hot (probably about 35°C), the sun was relentless, and while my boyfriend and his kids barely survived the heat, I was floating. Something about the crisp contrast between the cool interior of the ruins and the feeling of being in a sunheated stone oven once you step out just makes me completely unable to stress or worry. Heatwaves are just about the only thing that force me to live in the moment. Sun induced mindfulness, man. Anyway, here are some pictures of a blissful day of leisurely exploring Nîmes and some Roman ruins!


Nimes center square
Nimes town hall
Nimes Roman Arena
& other stories sundress, birkenstocks, havana hat

I washed this dress on too high a temperature and it shrunk a bit and I hate myself for not double checking the care instructions. But I've learned from my mistakes and will now always handwash my fave dresses. I WILL.

Nimes Roman arena

Haha look at those poor kids on some kind of summercamp trip, not at all impressed by the arena, just trying to catch some shade while checking out their cellphones. PROPER TEENS!

& other stories sundress, birkenstocks, havana hat
Nimes Roman arena
& other stories sundress, cross body bag, havana hat

My shoulders got super tan this summer, even though I was fastidious in my sunscreen application! Dat South-France sun tho.

Nimes Roman arena

As you can see in the bottom left of the picture, there were these white wooden barriers that made us assume that the arena is currently being used as a bullring. 

& other stories sundress, birkenstocks, havana hat
Nîmes Roman arena
Nîmes Roman arena

Damn, those Romans could build, amirite?

After leaving the arena, we sought out a quite café to enjoy some refreshing soda, and the obligatory ice cream, of course. If I remember correctly, I had honey-salted caramel ice cream here. Cue drooling sound.

bikini: c/o Bikinisonline

And then we went back to our little holiday home, I put on my bikini, and chillmode was ON.

The only thing that I enjoy about winter if the holidays are over, is the fact that we're a bit closer to summer. I'm SO ready for a heatwave or two.

No comments